Having clear hearing allows us to communicate with one another, enjoy our favorite music, and keep us safe. Until we start having trouble with our sense of hearing, we tend not to recognize its importance. It’s hard to detect which noises are harmful or which ones aren’t, but wearing earplugs now can prevent or worsen injury down the line.
It can even help cope with symptoms of the following:
- Meniere’s disease
- Migraine & headaches
- Misophonia & Phonophobia
- Hypersensitivity Disorder
Whether or not you identify with one of these conditions, here are 6 ways you can benefit from wearing earplugs:
- Reduces stress. We’re so used to the barrage of unpleasant audio bombarding our ears on a daily basis, from sirens and construction site noise, we don’t realize just how much these sounds put us on edge. Since the body responds to noise as a stressor, wearing protective earplugs can change how you perceive certain noises while fostering a calm and relaxed state. While you can still hear conversations and other distractions around you, the sounds feel more tolerable.
- Improves focus. If you have trouble concentrating, you know that distractions can cause a great deal of discomfort. Although complete silence isn’t always ideal, wearing earplugs can help block out any distractions. For those with ADHD or SPD, wearing earplugs can also help with problematic behaviors due to hyperreactivity or extreme sensitivity.
- Improves sleep. If you’re a light sleeper, even the subtlest of noises can keep you up at night. These disruptions have lasting effects, as it takes time for the body to return to that deep sleep that’s essential after a long day. Whether you wear earplugs throughout the day to promote a relaxed state or sleep with them at night, your body and mind will thank you once you wake up feeling well-rested.
- Reduced anxiety. Anxiety can make you feel like you’re out of control. If you’re sensitive to certain sounds, you may experience this same feeling when you can’t control some of the intrusive sounds occurring around you. Wearing earplugs can drown out triggering noises and give you control over your surrounding environment, while still having the ability to hear clearly
- Improves social connectedness. Struggling with your sense of hearing can result in trouble identifying and processing what others are saying. Focusing on the conversation can get stressful and sometimes result in isolation, loneliness, and depression. By freeing yourself of any distractions and reducing stress, you’ll cultivate more profound and meaningful relationships.
- Protects physical health. Noises and sounds are a normal part of everyday life, but sometimes, they can feel like an invasion of privacy. Too much exposure to constant, irritating sounds can increase the risk for stress-related illnesses like high blood pressure and ulcers.
Taking action now can prevent troubling conditions from occurring down the road. Click here to learn more about how earplugs can help you.